Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bio-diversity day at the Smithy

A soggy wet day & back to the Smithy. A quick re-cap for folks, this is the Heritage Centre that I used to run, due to problems with the committee I resigned & walked away. The committee imploded, the building & grounds have been trashed through neglect & I've been having big problems for the last 5 years with this 'charity' as I still own the workshop building on their land. Flash forward > a new committee, a new name, new organisation have taken it over ( some are still the same individuals ), new momentum to fix things up & move forward. 

So to start things of on Saturday 28th a Biodiversity event was planned to kick start a few things, a wild life garden being created . Tom and Leslie Kilbride from north Applecross coast were showing how to create rope, fibres, dye & much more from nettles. The nettle rope was brilliant!
 Paul Swan, our local flora & fauna expert was there with one of his popular 'wildlife' quizzes, " is it a dinosaur bone?".
 Rich and myself were starting off the mosaic panel that will go on the building end wall, there will be three panels showing images from various ages representing History & natural Heritage of the area. We making the mosaic from Glass shards, recycled from the 'Shards' -Stained Glass company based up at Arrina. This techinique is one which I started using many years ago when I had loads of this scrap glass which I also used to melt into my pottery. I ran many workshops in making these mosaics and you see other people now producing them locally.
The event was busy with a steady flow of people coming in out of the rain all day, local and visitors. It certainly shows that the Smithy could be a success again in the future with everyone pulling together.

No comments: