Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Russel Burn





Here's the finished painting, Russel burn- as seen in the evening light on Sunday. Enjoyed doing this, frustrated how everything else impinges on painting time.
There are technical things which I want to work through, the work seems to be getting more & more representational, which I'm not sure about. I want to capture the light, textures, colours, movement, contrasts in things; but I want to do so in a lively, expressive manner, minimum brush work & layers, I want to avoid muddying, overworking, labouring over detail. I also want to avoid the techniques used by other local artists painting the same mountains - as plagiarism drives me mad! I'm not looking to recreate photographs. Someone today was talking about trying to paint in an impressionist style, I don't think one should aim for a particular style but just intuitively find one's own. Curious then that my work seems to be wandering off on a completely different tangent from me.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's lovely, Vicky. Just... Wow.

jon haward said...

wonderful painting nice use of light makes me miss scotland even more

. said...

Oh that's beautiful :-) It has a fresh and tranquil feel to it...

I know what you mean about your work running away from you - I want the fairy-headed, all energy and high ideas painter I was a year or so back - now I see to be constantly fretting about technical stuff. I guess the 'feeling' painter may come back when the technical stuff becomes second nature... I hope so! :-S