Wednesday, November 03, 2010

The Artist Shinod Akkara Parambil

Art should not exist in a vacuum, so while this blog serves the function of showing the world what art I'm doing, and also to talk about some of the things behind and around about this artists world- a major part of that world is of course other artists who inspire.

This is I hope the first of  I hope many blogs showcasing other creative people.   I had the privilege of meeting and working alongside Shinod Akkara Parambil at the Yelabuga Symposium in Russia this August. Shinod hails from Kerala in India.


He bought laughter and joy to the event with his infectious humour and wonderful philosophy. We had some brilliant and challenging debates and discussions, comparing our cultures and attitudes, there was no escaping Shinod's piercingly perceptive observations and questioning. Behind the clowning and fun is a deeply sensitive and passionate artist. In our spacious Yelabuga studio I worked next to Shinod, my watery layered blue canvases contrasting starkly with the opaque vivid red which Shinod painted in. 


The theme of the Symposium was 'Breath of the Epos', Shinod definitely bought a connection with Kerela into that room, he sings and dances while he paints, evoking the spirits, tradition, story, tradition and culture on the canvases. I was struck by the breadth and diversity of his portfolio. Shinod seems able to turn his hand to any style or medium.  He became quite a celebrity in Russia, with people looking out for him to pose for photos or  sign autographs. It was a fantastic opportunity for international peoples to come together and learn from each other. Shinod made a fantastic ambassador both for his own country, but also for an idealism in art we sometimes loose sight of in the cynical UK


I asked him some questions about his work;

How do you describe your work?
My work is based on 2 aspects one is my surroundings that I was brought up with and secondly the illustrations in the media I work for.

Do you make a living from your work? do you do other work if so what &
how do you manage the different activities?
Yes, I earn my living from the media I work for, also I find enough of time to spend for my paintings. All the spare time I kindle my creative and artistic mind to bring in innovations in my work.

What is your inspiration?
The day to day experiences in life that I encounter, happiness and sorrow in my life and the world around has been the best inspiration.

What are you working on now?
I am closely working with a Scotland artist Lynn Bennett-Mackenzie on a new project that we plan to exhibit here in India.

In an ideal world what work would you be doing?
I would be working as an artist with a message to the world focusing on unity and integrity.

What is your biggest frustration as an artist?
When some unprecedented incidents happen in the world that can harm humanity and living, causes frustration and they immediately reflect on my work.

What is your biggest pleasure in art?
Well ….When I sit back and look at my work that has gathered appreciation by the public, is the biggest pleasure I experience in art.

Have you a preferred medium? If so what is it & why?
I have worked on all sorts of painting but now I am concentrating on acrylics and illustration with the assistance of technology.

What or who helped/ or inspired you to become an artist?
The Famous artists like Pablo Picasso and Jackson Pollock have been my inspiration from the time I had started my career on arts.

Did you receive any formal art education? If so was it a good or bad experience?
I had done my 4 years diploma in fine arts; it was a good experience which had helped me to unveil my talents in an appropriate way.

What sort of hours do you work at your art?
There are no specific timings for my work on art, as and when I experience an urge to work I do so, may be even during the wee hours of the day.

What is your studio space like?
I have a studio room which is convenient, well ventilated and equipped with all things necessary for my work.

What else other than art is important in your life?
Family is also an integral part of my life, which inspires and motivates me to work on my creations as well.

Where can people see of your work?
My work can be seen on websites like http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/shinod-ap.html 
http://shinodapart.blogspot.com/
also in the form of illustrations in the The New Indian Express newspaper 



I was a genuine pleasure to meet Shinod and I look forward to opportunities in the future to meet again. Thankyou to him for taking the time out to answer my questions.

3 comments:

. said...

That was really interesting, lovely vibrant work, thanks to both you and Shinod! :-D

VickyS said...

Thanks Nicki, I hope your work is going well. I'll be posting up more about other wonderful artists soon!

Anonymous said...

I am proud to say i am one of shinod's colleague. Its interesting!